Bellever Clapper Bridge
Burnard annotated the photograph as 'Bellaford Clapper Bridge' but the modern name is 'Bellever Clapper Bridge'. Clapper Bridges were built on Dartmoor from about 1400 to carry packhorse trade routes over rivers and streams. The bridges consist of one or more large slabs. When several slabs were required to cross a river then stone piers were built well clear of the water. In the photograph Bellever Clapper Bridge is incomplete and it still is today as a new road bridge has been built alongside.