The village of South Zeal developed into the largest and most populous settlement in the South Tawton parish through a license, (granted in 1299), permitting a weekly market and two annual fairs. Since then, trade and woollen manufacture has dominated the area's industry, supporting local service infrastructure, including a bakery, five pubs, a tailor and a shoe maker. Later in the nineteenth century, copper was mined in the area. Modern South Zeal has seen these industries decline, and now serves to accommodate the rural tourist industry.

South Zeal street
South Tawton Collection
30820
?/?/?
Unknown Location
?/?