Brent Tor Church
Brent Tor is an isolated volcanic outcrop and not the usual Dartmoor granite tor. The church on top of the tor is over a thousand feet above sea level and is a prominent local landmark. The church was built about 1140 and is still basically Norman although it was restored in 1890. The tower was added during the fifteenth century. The church is one of the smallest in the country at 37 feet long and 14.5 feet wide. It is still used for regular services. Burnard noted that the church was dedicated to St. Michael on the Hill. The current designation is to St. Michael de Rupe.