Tapley House, Bishopsteignton

Tapley House, Bishopsteignton, near Teignmouth. The Tapley House, or Tapley Manor as it is sometimes called, is estimated to be built during the Elizabethan era, and is speculated to be the redesign of the eminent architect James Nash. Nash was originally based in Dawlish and his influence can be felt in some of the local architecture in South Devon, but it is his designs of Regency architecture, including the reworking of Buckingham Palace and Marble Arch that he is most famous for. Tapley Manor included a vegetable garden, hidden away behind a red stone wall which runs up Radway Hill. Regrettably, the house was demolished after WWII to make way for new housing. Could it be the site of the present Tapley Gardens cul-de-sac?
Tapley House, Bishopsteignton
Copyright Devon County Council
Record # 10121
Date ?/?/1953
Collection Name Chapman
Location (WGS84) -3.5389/50.5539
Location (OS) SX909738
View of village & church, Bishopsteignton

Previous Record

View of village & church, Bishopsteignton
Tapley House, Bishops Teignton

Next Record

Tapley House, Bishops Teignton